Filing a Complaint For Police Misconduct

Anyone who believes they have been the victim of police misconduct has the right to file a formal complaint to the agency that employs that officer. A complaint can be made in writing, over the phone or via the internet. The first step is to ask to speak to a police supervisor or Sergeant, let them know you wish to file a formal complaint for the reasons that brought you there. It is important to request to speak to someone high in the chain of command rather than to give the details to the officer at the desk, if you do not you may end up repeating your story. The supervisor will generally sit down with you and attempt to resolve the problem or they may wish to take the matter further by asking you to put the facts and details in writing. The internal affairs division is the department that investigates all complaints and an investigator may be assigned to interview you and any witnesses. Written complaints stay in the police officer’s file and can be used to impose discipline against the officer or may result in termination.

About thetorranceattorney

Matthew Ruff is a Torrance criminal defense attorney located near the 405 freeway on Crenshaw Blvd. Focusing on DUI and serious criminal cases for over twenty five years. In addition to criminal cases, Matthew also defends clients at the DMV regarding license suspension hearings stemming from drunk driving arrests.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s