We all have had the unfortunate opportunity to appear in Court at some point in our lives. The case may have been for a simple traffic matter or a civil case involving a car accident or a small claims case for a landlord tenant issue, whatever the reason, the fact of the matter is that it is a scary situation and none of us know what to do. Fortunately, one local attorney gives us frank advise on the most popular ways to impress the court and the judge in any situation.
1. Always dress respectfully when you are called upon to appear in court. This does not mean that you need to go out and buy a 3 thousand dollar suit, but you must shpow respect to the Court. Dress as though you are going on a job interview. Do not wear anything flashy just dress conservatively
2. When speaking, always consider that there is a reporter trying to take down what you are saying. Do not overtalk the opponent or the judge, speak clearly, slowly and intelligently.
3. Never lie about anything. The simple fact of the matter is that the Court will usually discover any falsehoods that you may present. Be honest and truthful all the time.
4. Have a lawyer whenever you can. The law is complex, the Judge will not help you to learn the law, an attorney is there to assist you in Court on criminal offenses and traffic matters.
5. Be prepared, always bring all documents, letters, and any photographs that may help to present your case. You will not be given a second chance. The Court date is the time to bring all relevent material.