I Got A DUI in Texas But I Am Moving To California, What Will CA Do?

Here is the scenario: Client has a pending DWI in Texas. He currently has a Texas Driver’s license but he is living in California.  If he sits out his 6 month license suspension in Texas and then Applies for a California license, will California give him a License and 2) will he be required to have SR-22 insurance in California 3) and if so how long? 

He should apply for a CA license before his TX license gets suspended.  CA would only then suspend his CA license if it picks up on the TX suspension—that won’t likely happen unless the CA DMV has some reason to run his driving record (Texas won’t report it out because he wasn’t license in CA at the time of the incident).

California is not going to require anything of him because the incident happened before he was licensed in CA.  However, he will want to get the TX suspension lifted asap and keep it lifted by maintaining the SR22 for the two years required on the Texas DUI case.

About thetorranceattorney

Matthew Ruff is a Torrance criminal defense attorney located near the 405 freeway on Crenshaw Blvd. Focusing on DUI and serious criminal cases for over twenty five years. In addition to criminal cases, Matthew also defends clients at the DMV regarding license suspension hearings stemming from drunk driving arrests.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s