The Honorable Rene Gilbertson is a Los Angeles Superior Court Judge. She was elected by the voters in 2018 and was appointed by the Governor so that she could start early rather than wait to begin her assignment in 2019. She has been on the Torrance bench since late 2018. Judge Gilbertson replaced the late Judge Sandra Thompson who was a fixture in that Court for 3 decades. She left some big shoes to fill and Judge Gilbertson seems to be doing a great job. As a local Criminal Defense attorney I have had the privilege of appearing before her on several occasions, they have all been a pleasure. From my perspective she is smart, conscientious, fair, has a pleasant and courteous demeanor, is patient with the right measure of humility, and strives to do the “right thing”.
The following biographical information was obtained from votersedge:
- For the past 24 years, Ms. Gilbertson has worked primarily in the area of juvenile law, to prevent child abuse and neglect and to ensure that necessary services are provided to children and families. She began her legal career as a Staff Attorney at The Alliance for Children’s Rights and, by 1995, became the Interim Executive Director. In 1996, Ms. Gilbertson began representing children in the juvenile dependency arena at Children’s Law Center Los Angeles (formerly Dependency Court Legal Services).
- Handled child abuse cases in Los Angeles Juvenile Court
- Served as Legal Advisor for the County Sheriff’s Department
- Represented indigent children and youth in the foster care system
- Dedicated 24 years to protecting the children of Los Angeles County
Judge Gilbertson puts her experience to use in her current assignment where a large majority of her cases are misdemeanor domestic violence, many involving children. Torrance Court, Div 2 hears all misdemeanor cases originating from Redondo Beach and Hermosa Beach California.
As a local Torrance Lawyer, I am often asked whether a specific Judge would be recommended on a particular case, with regard to Judge Gilbertson the answer is yes.
2022 Update: Judge Gilbertson is now presiding over D-5 in Torrance Superior Court at 825 Maple. She replaced Judge Reinert. Her calendar includes all criminal cases filed by the Torrance City Prosecutor which includes DUI, domestic violence and all other misdemeanor crimes occurring in the city. Nothing has changed about her judicial demeanor and temperament. Her friendly personality and kindness has not changed. Judge Rene Gilbertson remains as a well respected bench officer for all matters and is highly respected by the criminal defense bar in the South Bay.